Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Whats the average 0-60MPH time?

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 26th June 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Proper 0-60 times as practised by car mag journos are quite damaging to the car, mostly the clutch, but tyres and gearbox also. The idea is to hold it at a steady 3k revs or something and drop the clutch. Then at peak power mash the box into second and third if necessary. Sometimes the wheelspin in first is enough to slow the time so much a quick change to second is beneficial. Having never driven an automatic I dunno the procedure there, but there are so many different types too ...

You should still be able to get within a second or two of the manufacturer time without driving too much like a loon, but unless you specificially bought a 'stang for this purpose I wouldn't do it too often.

Gunning it at 40 or 50 to scare the b'jesus out of a dawdler is much more satisfying imo
That and multi-car overtaking manouvers. The mad mile outside Hastings on the A21 is good for this, in both directions

Currently in bpowell555's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II 2.2dCi Initiale, 1990 E30 325i Touring (Bavarian Tigzwerken Express)

Last edited by bpowell555; 26th June 2008 at 01:43 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome