Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Whats the average 0-60MPH time?

View Single Post
post #31 of (permalink) Old 27th June 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by delta1066 View Post
Actually... its not.

I used to live right on the A21 many years ago. There were emergency services flying up and down it almost every night as there used to be at least 3 accidents a week.

It isn't a safe road. Trust me, I've seen and heard enough blues and twos down it over the years. Please be careful on that road. On the few rare occasions I drive alone it I get very nervous. I was on a bus once years ago on the A21.. lorry came the other way and smashed its wing mirror into the bus. The driver was a right state.

Back to the topic at hand...

I still don't see how my saff has a slower than average 0-60 time yet still seems to out power everything else on the road around here. How is this possible?

Hmmm, I know the length of the A21 like the back of my hand. Who needs the Nurburgring? I can't believe you really get nervous driving it - nervous is the last thing you want to feel on any road

I know Flimwell had a reputation as a blackspot - which is why they paved over the dual carriageway - instead of putting up speed cameras

Which is not to say I speed - as an A road 60-70 on the speedo and you can make good progress. What annoys me is that you get a lot of 40mph heros that can turn a 30 minute drive into an hour long drive. There are very few overtaking spots on the A21. Now Flimwell is no longer an option you've got the new Lamberhurst bypass - hoorah! The only other safe spot is the mad mile. Hence everyone tries to overtake there. Again, because of trucks and 40milers you'll often turn into it behind 2-5 vehicles. If the oncoming lane is clear its thankyou and see you later

Overtaking isn't necessarily dangerous. I wonder if these people who drive a straight road at 40 in a 60 zone whether they should be on the road at all? Are they not the dangerous ones? As countless recent surveys have shown, speed doesn't kill, bad drivers do....

edit: soapbox - just one or two overtaking spots - extra lanes on hills for instance, that's all it takes ... Whoever was responsible for paving over the Flimwell dual carriageway should ... have a good long hard think about what they've done! :loser:

Currently in bpowell555's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II 2.2dCi Initiale, 1990 E30 325i Touring (Bavarian Tigzwerken Express)

Last edited by bpowell555; 27th June 2008 at 12:37 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome