Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - problem opening boot

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 27th June 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via Yahoo to faz11a
Smile Clio boot /tailgate/ rear hatch lock stuck

Hi I have an 03 Clio mkII--Have looked in this site and there is a picture of a laguna boot lock (see if you can find it)- It is just same as the clio- lock-
To open the boot, get in via folding seats- there is a black plastic rectangle on inside of rear hatch where locking mechanism is- In the centre of this is a plastic 'tab' - Get a screwdriver and lift up the front edge of this tab and the lock will release- As elsewhere in this site (I will get the quote later)- You can very easily remove the inside 'cover' trim from the rear hatch's inside-(This is called 'card' elsewhere in this site I think-which to me- a layman- was confusing) _just remove one small screw (T20 screwdriver- google it) and rest of trim panel just snap-fit off (don't loose the black studs that can fall out- you just snap the panel back on after- thump it in place over where studs are) - You will easily see the locking mechanism's 'solenoid' under this panel when removed-Looks like an electric motor- This is most likely (as in my case what has probly burnt out)- Attached below this cylindrical 'solenoid'? (central locking actuator for rear tailgate lock) you will see the metal arm which pulls the lock 'open' when you press the button- You can do this with your hand to unlock (un jam) the boot. In my case the solenoid had failed while the boot lock mechanism was in the 'locked' position- You will see how this works- there is a little 'ratchet type' lock that holds the metal arm back from moving when the solenoid (I think really it is an electric motor servo) actuates.
Do not (as I did ) dismantle the lock at the other end of the metal arm _where the black plastic rectangle is - it falls to bits quite suddenly and has a tiny spring and microswitch inside which took be an age to reassemble correctly when I had icked up the bits and cleaned grit off them from pavement!.
It had nothing to do with rusty electric contact points as mentioned elsewhere as poss problem- at least in my case- I can see where the rainwater drainage tube is though that apparently can leak in some cases as mentioned here. My contacts-They are all bright as a new pin. No 1:loser: culprit is the servo actuator - Will probably need replacing-

Any senior members please comment.
- Thanks. Will keep you posted of what happens next to fix my boot (tailgate) lock/
Currently in faz11a's garage:
clio II 1.5 dci 80 initiale 2003 plate now deceased sold on
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome