Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane Coupe Advice

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 16th April 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Ok this is what I learnt from buying my megane hatch (The principles are the same for the coupe):

Phase 1 (book figures)
1.4 75bhp 37mpg 13.8 sec 0-60 (not in coupe)
1.6 90bhp 37mpg 11.1s 0-60
2.0 8v 115bhp 33mpg 9.4s 0-60
2.0 16v 150bhp 33mpg 8.6s 0-60

Phase 2 (better engines in my view)
1.4 16v 95bhp 42mpg 11.4sec 0-60 (smaller brakes)
1.6 16v 110bhp 40mpg 9.5 s 0-60
2.0 Ide 140bhp 37mpg 8.6s 0-60
2.0 VVT 140bhp 37mpg 9s 0-60

Dont know about diesels they are not my thing. To me the sweet spot of power and economy was the 1.6 16v phase 2 engine. Have been told that the coils are the thing to look out for on the 16v engines as they use individual pencil coils . As you can see the 16v enignes give more power and better encomy than the older engines.

Early pahse 2 meganes t or v reg are called hybrids as some of the internal workings are off the phase 1 such as sterio workings etc.

My view is that phase 2 looks better as well. Phase 2 trims up untill 00. All have ABS and uprated brakes plus fornt and side airbags and central locking also uprated suspension.
Liberty= entry model
sport = sports seats, alloy wheels, front fog lights and spoiler
Alize= trip computer, sunroof, front elec windows, air con, double optic lights
RXE= is alize plus some sport options plus rear electric windows and cd changer
Monaco= is the full package of rxe plus leather seats

later phase 2 renamed to
authentique= base
dynamique = alize (dynamique+ was same as sport alize apart from it has a cd changer and iso fix mountings nad alarm) Did look to buy this model
Privilage = monaco
Most may come with + on their name to indicate more gadgets (not 100% sure what didnt research that far).

Phase 1 I think had I.R remote lockign whre pahse 2 has the better R.F remote locking. Also most phase 1s had 14" inch wheels (top models had 15 i think), phase 2 have 15" wheels.

Well there you go phase 2 in my opinion has better engines and more saftey features. I have the 1.6 16v and i currently love it. (sad I know)

Some nice querks as well, rear wiper comes on in reverse if wipers are on, wipers drop speed when stationary, intermitant wipers time can be changed, brakes are spot on (mine are all new).

My general view, ride is smooth but you feel bumps when they occur, nippy and grips well does not have much body roll on tight corners all in all I like it but then its new for me at the moment.

ps you may see me on the coupe club as well they allow hatch owners
Currently in sleepdeprived's garage:
megane 1.6 16v

Last edited by sleepdeprived; 16th April 2006 at 07:11 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome