Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Should I replace a 52 with an 05?

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 2nd July 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by coups View Post
Good morning folks.

I have a question I would like your opinion on. I have a 52 plate Scenic II fidji with which we are very happy, it has never let us down..... bar the starter motor but that was fixed under warranty. It does everything it says on the tin and is, in my opinion, the perfect family car. Could do with more power and better mpg but I'm sure thats the case with everyones car. We had no intention of changing and are still paying finance on it after two years of ownership.

The thing is, the dealer (Arnold Clark - Dundee, and before anyone starts on Arnold Clark I must say we've had generally good service and I can't complain about this branch) where we bought the car was on the phone the other day asking how we were getting on with it, was honest and told him we loved it. He then suggested they had a large number of 1.6 petrol 05 plate Grand Scenics, any one of which he could supply for the same finance payments we are curently paying, of course the period would be extended. Now the new car looks great and seven seats would be an advantage with the kids pals, the extra boot space would be handy for the camping and all that....

But, we don't need a new car and I'm happy with the current one. On the other hand the current one has about 70k due the timing belt and other minor service stuff, the new one has less than 20k, Dynamique spec, choice of colours....

Arnold is obviously desperate to shift these cars which I guess have been returned from three year finance deals.

Theres the dilema. What do you do?
Don't do it!! I had a 2000 Alize which i was very happy with, however traded up for the 7 seats. What a mistake-2 months or so into ownership & 800 spent extra on a motor that cost me 7,500 to start with!
The 1.6 is under powered & the VVT engine is rubbish & costly! Can't give an oinion on the diesels-I've read conflicting opinions on here as to how good/bad they are.
The irony is I gave my dad my old Scenic & its just sailed through its latest MOT!
Hope you haven't commited to one yet.
Currently in comeonleeds's garage:
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome