Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna 2 - Loss Of Drive*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 2nd July 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Laguna 2 - Loss Of Drive*FIXED*

Pulling out of a junction this morning I lifted the clutch to take up drive and there was a loud bang from the front of the car and I completely lost drive.

I can still engage gears (even without using the clutch now!) but they do nothing. Put it in gear and take the handbrake off and the car just rolls away as if in neutral.

AA towed me to dealer (car is under Renault warranty so no worries about cost of repairs).

Dealer hasn't looked yet but the AA man said he though the clutch pressure plate had gone but the more I think about this the more I think that would cause the clutch to stick on rather than off.

When ticking over you can hear a tinkling, crunching noise as bits of metal somewhere get thrown about. I guess either in the gearbox somewhere.

Any ideas anyone? I expect them to tell me what's wrong tomorrow afternoon but I would like to have some ideas what is wrong.

I did search around and found suggestions it could be the driveshaft which has gone - is this likely to cause these symptoms.

Clutch was replaced (whole assembly) by Renault dealer (at my considerable expense) about 18 months ago and has only done around 10k miles since so is not worn and the f/n/s drive shaft was changed about a year ago (maybe less).
Currently in KeyRenRF3's garage:
2003 Renault Laguna II 2.0 IDE Initiale (Petrol, Manual)
  5 Lastest Threads by KeyRenRF3
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Door Handle Not Flush Bodywork liddy 3 1715 1st February 2010 01:19 PM
Warnings and Faults Engines KeyRenRF3 5 2179 5th January 2010 09:58 AM
Snapped Bumper Trim Bodywork VelSatisfied 3 1542 2nd November 2009 08:04 AM
Whine When Coasting Engines madnoel10 9 1995 10th February 2009 04:43 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome