Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Should I replace a 52 with an 05?

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 2nd July 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I've just upgraded the better half's car from a 02 Dynamique to a 05 Grand Scenic Dynamique. Both of these cars are ex-Motability.

In my opinion a benefit of ex-motability is the oppurtunity to purchase a 3 year old car with ridiculously low mileage. In both case the cars are/were 3 years old with <8000 miles. Both were fully serviced/maintained and were just like new cars to drive - all tight and quiet etc.

We did much better with the Scenic 02 plate than the 05. Whilst both Dynamique spec, the level of trim and extras are very different. No leather, climate control, cool box/centre console etc. In my opinion the 02 plate is a better build vehicle. The auto handbrake is going to get broken - its too tempting to let the brake auto release all the time and this is going to stress the brake system and eventually cause it to fail.

In both cases the cars were very clean with no signs of use of the pasenger seats. I can recommend Motability providing you choose the right vehicle. In hindsight I'd wish I given more time to finding the right spec vehicle. The diesel's are much more fun to drive and a higher spec with climate and auto locking/unlocking rather than the stupid key thing you have to insert in the dash etc. However, the other half likes ithe car - so I should restrain! Fo carrrying the kids around and junk to the car boots etc its a good car.

Reason for change is 26k a year mileage and the auto box has caused at least two frightening dropouts in the fast lane of motorways. Needless to say the 05 is a manual.

I'd be interested to know the common failure modes of the Grand Scenic? The 02 suffered ignition coil failures and dodgy autobox - what delights await me on the new one??
Currently in Chugg's garage:
05 Scenic Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome