Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The difference between sucking & blowing!

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 10th July 2008 Thread Starter
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Its gratifying to see that I'm not the only one who thinks along similar lines .

From the other thread, I was getting the impression that what was being put forward was that the air was being pressurised before it passed through the turbo (which I couldn't follow).

I view it this way; I'm sitting with my favourite (but all too rare drink - a McDonalds Strawberry milkshake), I need to get the substance from the cup along the straw into my mouth - I don't pressurise the contents of the cup to push the milkshake along the straw, I create a lower-pressure area (almost vacuum if the milkshake is thick enough) in my mouth, than what the milkshake is subject to in the cup, and there then exists a driving force for the milkshake to defy gravity.

That is how I see the inlet aspect of the turbo working - it pulls more air in as more exhaust gases leave - its not instantaneous (that's why turbo lag exists), but its pretty much correlated once in motion.

I do accept there is then positive pressure on the gas once it passes the turbo , but unless the inlet has a direct feed and the vehicle is already in motion, it will only be the negative pressure which pulls the air into the inlet.

Thanks for the input, its always good to air our views.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome