Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - II Battery problems

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 10th July 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by stevemc01 View Post
I have a 02 Laguna 1.9 diesel, I've had a few problems but most are of my own making, but the last 2 days I have had a problem starting it up.

Left work at 5.30 ysterday and drove about 15 miles to the nearest filling station where i stopped to pump up my tires, no probs so far. I left the card in and the radio on as i was listening to an interesting interview. I took me no longer than 3/4 mins to pump the tyres and when i went to start the car up again it wouldnt start.

The battery light was showing on the panel and when i pressed the start/stop button there was a bit of a chug but just sounded like the battery was a bit drained and the car wouldnt start.

Got the jump leads out and the car started fine from a jump start, drove the 7.5 miles home and didnt use it again till this morning.

Same thing as yesterday, gave a bit of a chug when I pressed the start switch but wouldnt start. So i had to get a jump start off the wifes car.

Drove 25 miles to work, no problems. When I switched off the engine I tried immediately to restart it but it wouldnt start, again just the chug from it, the battery isnt dead completely but not enough power to start the car, any ideas guys?
A few questions first.

Is this the original battery?
Does the battery have enouogh charge to run the headlamps?

The Laguna's starting system seems to be quite sensitive to low battery voltage. I had the same symptoms on my original battery after only 3 years.
There are six cells in a car battery an if one of them is poor you can still get enough voltage and current to run all your normal power consumers (including lights) but the car won't start.

If your battery is more than 4 years old and it's the standard one fitted then don't waste time - just replace it with a high quality high current unit.
I got a high current Calcium battery with a 4 year guarantee and I can forget it now.

Remember, diesel engines (and Petrol IDE engines like mine) require higher crank currents due to the higher compression ratios used.

Currently in Eeeps's garage:
2011 Clio III dCi 88 Dynamique and 2016 CitroŽn Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 BlueHDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome