Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 1990 Daimler Sovereign value?

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12th July 2008
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Oh don't get me wrong, I ran a scorpio for 9 years (a very lovely old barge to drive), but I wisely kept it under warranty for as long as I could, and even beyond that period, I was running it less & less due to the fuel costs.

Point is - I had receipts for over 22grand's worth of repairs during that period - no tyres, tax, mots, fuel - just servicing & repairs. Okay, the warranty covered most of that - but just think if I'd been shortsighted enough to think (why pay 1000 for a warranty?).

You may think - oh the car will only be used for 3,000 miles or so per year, so the bills will be less.
It doesn't work out that way - your only variable cost with a luxury car is the fuel bill - everything else is fixed.

Big cars = big bills.

If you can afford it, buy it and enjoy it - but never, ever total the invoices (as I did).

Personally speaking, if its a car for light use - go for a pre-1973 classic which won't even cost the tax (and insurance is peanuts).

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome