Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - And people say auto's are slow...

View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 13th July 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
The VW DSG isn't a true auto box in the conventional sense. Its workings are a lot closer to a pair of conventional manual gearboxes, with the real trick being that, while keeping the current gear engaged, it also has the next higher or next lower one engaged the clutch released. Changes up or down are achieved by releasing the clutch on the current gear and engaging the clutch on the gear being changed to. Odd numbered gears are controlled by one clutch and even numbered ones by the other.

Edit: Watched the videos and it tells you all that. I'll shut up now

The only conventional auto I've ever owned was the Audi. Being a 1979 model, it was the old-fashioned three speed variety, and even though the ratios were quite wide, you were still thrashing it at high speed (5000rpm at 90mph as I recall.)

I do like conventional autos on a normally aspirated petrol engine, but hate them on turbo diesels. I've never driven a turbo petrol with one so I couldn't comment. A TD needs to be revved for a second or so to generate enough power to take off - with a manual transmission, you can control how this is delivered with the clutch. On an auto box, you just have to get used to flooring the gas pedal about a second before you actually want to start moving.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 13th July 2008 at 03:58 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome