Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #894 of (permalink) Old 13th July 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via Yahoo to faz11a
Exclamation clio bonnet latch jamming

Hi -
Momoman don't fret too much- The way to avoid jamming is to keep the latch and its recess very well greased- Because the latch lock is in a recess which traps all the dirt flying under the bonnet (:loser: well thought out renault!). Eventually if the grease leaks away the dirt will sort of 'rust up' the catch and will foul its free full movement- Just get and old toothbrussh etc and after cleaning it out grease it up real good again.
In addition- there is a safety stop mechanism which prevents the bonnet from flying up as far as I can remember- Test this yourself- just release the bonnet and let it down but dont push it down fully- If you try and pull it up there is still a secondary stop mechanism which stops you pulling it up unless you use the pull- lever under the bonnet. So its hard to see how the bonnet would fly up - as in previous posts ' description - without both these mechanisms failing-My be make sure they both are greased and free.

I forgot to add the outcome of the problem- I called the AA out the next day claiming it is stopping me from driving safely- The man was well used to the problem- He knew exactly where to push a screwdriver head behind the latch to realease it- He then cleaned and greased it fresh.
Works fine ever since.
Hope that helps-
Currently in faz11a's garage:
clio II 1.5 dci 80 initiale 2003 plate now deceased sold on

Last edited by faz11a; 13th July 2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: addtional comment
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome