Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MOT Test Emission Test Results Survey Thread - Member feedback wanted

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 19th April 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by vass20
If the fuel is being completely burned, doesn't this mean we are not polluting???

In a (theoretically) perfect burn, you'd might achieve zero CO and no hydrocarbons, but you'd still be using oxygen and producing CO2. As CO2 is the main greenhouse gas, they can quite happily tax your V6 to death under the politically correct banner of being 'green.'
The other thing that comes to mind: If I drive 6000 miles a year why am I paying the same as someone doing 50000 miles on a similar tax disk.
But they're paying nearly ten times the fuel duty. To be honest, I think they've only bothered scaling VED to try to deter people from buying dirty great 4x4's purely for the school run.

Though it may be a prelude towards moving from fuel taxation to 'per mile' toll charges. If they ever go ahead with this, then they'll need to do something to deter everyone from moving to gas guzzlers, so expect your average 3 litre V6 to attract a four figure rate for VED.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome