Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MOT Test Emission Test Results Survey Thread - Member feedback wanted

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 20th April 2006 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by Horatio
In a (theoretically) perfect burn, you'd might achieve zero CO and no hydrocarbons, but you'd still be using oxygen and producing CO2. As CO2 is the main greenhouse gas, they can quite happily tax your V6 to death under the politically correct banner of being 'green.' Hear! Hear! But are you saying that they are taxing my oxygen now?
But they're paying nearly ten times the fuel duty.
And they are getting ten times the value from the infrastructure... like wearing and tearing the roads X10, etc, etc, etc. I don't think their fuel tax is a valid argument; it is tantamount to saying that I should pay something towards their fuel costs because I'm saving on mileage. Sorry, but I have to disagree with that point.
To be honest, I think they've only bothered scaling VED to try to deter people from buying dirty great 4x4's purely for the school run. I think they scale because they want more revenue. This all boils down to the national income scale... the more the public charges for its service, the higher the demand for a bigger portion of it for all sorts of ends. It's a vicious circle.

Though it may be a prelude towards moving from fuel taxation to 'per mile' toll charges. If you mean add the VED to the price of fuel, I could easily live with that because it is more equitable.... if I'm gonna do the miles, then I gotta be prepared to pay for them. It's just not right that when I co-operate with the official strategy by leaving my car at home, I am still being taxed as though I wasn't co-operating. My car is taxed for polluting when it is actually standing still for weeks at a time. It's easier to understand than Iliad surely.

If they ever go ahead with this, then they'll need to do something to deter everyone from moving to gas guzzlers, so expect your average 3 litre V6 to attract a four figure rate for VED. I think adding the cost of the VED to the price of fuel will deter people from using gas guzzlers. The cost will be proportional to the mileage and consumption. People will think twice before driving their 4X4s up to Scotland every weekend just because they have a petrol card. Let's face it, even the meanest car on 80 g/km causes more pollution than my 240 g/km when it does X10 my mileage.
On the subject of using public transport, wouldn't it be better to add the global cost to the national tax so everyone can use it free of charge? Wouldn't it induce people to use it if free of charge... so what if it does add a penny or two or three to the tax. How many less cars on the M25 would there be and how many infrastructural projects would not be essential?

We install a government to protect us from all evil but we don't have anyone to protect us from the government itself (other than the vote which too high a percentage of the population don't bother to use).

I didn't really aim for a debate on fiscal policy, but it is always interesting to hear what everyone thinks.

My original concern was on whether the tariff had been wrongly written.

Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome