Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MOT Test Emission Test Results Survey Thread - Member feedback wanted

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 20th April 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by vass20
We install a government to protect us from all evil but we don't have anyone to protect us from the government itself (other than the vote which too high a percentage of the population don't bother to use).

I've long since arrived at the conclusion that we get to vote for a bunch of different people, all of whom will stick it to us in more or less the same way. So while I still go out and vote, it seems like a pretty futile gesture.

My point about toll charging was over this barmy notion that the current bunch sprung on us the within a week of being re-elected for another term (they'd kept quiet about it until then.) The plan is for a radical reduction (or even abolition) of fuel duty, to be replaced by pence per mile charges depending on which roads you use and when you use them.

So if it's going to cost you 300 quid in tolls to drive to London, does it really matter whether you spend 5 quid on fuel for a Smart or five times as much running an 8 litre Bitsubatsu Hogger? If they stick with the original plan, then people will move over to less environmentally friendly vehicles. To combat that, VED will have to go through the roof on bigger engined cars. I'd like to think that this idiotic plan will never get the go-ahead, but they've already started launching satellites for their own, more accurate version of GPS to control it all.

I didn't really aim for a debate on fiscal policy, but it is always interesting to hear what everyone thinks.

My original concern was on whether the tariff had been wrongly written.

Yup, it's best to steer clear of religion and politics. Oh what have we done?
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome