Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Any comeback?

Thread: Any comeback?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 16th July 2008 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Any comeback?

Its taken me 7 months to see sense but I finally worked out the B$ the Renault rech was telling me last November (2007)...

Had the lumpy 2k revs issue and finally ruled out everything else to be sure it was the intercooler. Started to go bad so the missus took it into the stealership. Their diagnosis was as follows:

Renault: Yeah mate the IC is split, leaking oil everywhere.
Me: Excuse me? Does that mean the turbo is gone?
R: Well, the IC cools oil and as its split is spilled that oil out ...
Me: WTF??? ... Errr the IC is for cooling air from the turbo ...?
R: No the IC is for cooling oil, the split has spilt all that oil out.
At this point I had a severe chickin lickin (sky falling down) moment and had to hang up and call back later. What on earth was he talking about? Later:

Me: I was advised my IC is split and because the IC cools oil has leaked oil all over the engine bay. This is not true the IC cools air - what is the oil leak? Do you mean the turbo has failed and is expelling oil into the IC?
R: Sorry I realise I must have scared you! No there's an oil feed along the IC that must have split which is where the leak is coming from. There's only very minor misting from the turbo ... sorry!
Me: Errrr.....
Hang up again. Since the IC is fixed and lumpiness is gone forget all about it. Luck takes a turn for the worse one month later when the gearbox gives up. Was advised by the gearbox company this was because the nearside gaiter split and dumped all the oil out.

All that time since that second call to Renault I've wondered what that feed pipe was that split. It occurs to me today there was no pipe --- it was gearbox oil.

What do you reckon? I'm almost certain this is what happened and they should have picked it up. I'm certainly going to bend their ear, but can I take it any further?

Currently in bpowell555's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II 2.2dCi Initiale, 1990 E30 325i Touring (Bavarian Tigzwerken Express)

Last edited by bpowell555; 16th July 2008 at 09:48 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by bpowell555
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Car - heal thyself! General Chat bpowell555 5 1135 28th October 2012 08:58 PM
Laguna folding mirror switch Electronics bpowell555 0 1628 21st October 2012 09:48 PM
Heater full hot or cold General Chat bpowell555 2 899 12th August 2012 11:52 AM
Stonking eurocarparts oil deal- ends today General Chat bpowell555 0 843 5th June 2012 09:34 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome