Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Repeated flat battery

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 18th July 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Repeated flat battery

Hi everybody - hoping for some advice and assistance please.

2000 Renault Espace 2.0 16v petrol, manual refused to start some time in January, flat battery. No surprise really as in the winter months it does a really short trip to work and back in the dark and I thought that the battery just wasn't getting the chance to charge. To be on the safe side I fitted a brand new battery and off we went for a few weeks and the same again. I charged the battery overnight and put it back on the car. All OK for a few months.

Went away on holiday, with the car, so it a had a good daylight run out, came home left it ofr a week and wouldn't start. Recharged the battery and seemed to be OK.

I have a solar voltaire trickle charging panel so I thought I'd plug this in when I'm leaving the car standing. Of course the cigarette lighter sockets are not "live" when the ignition is off so I fitted an additional one, just forward of the two cup holders in front of the gear stick, and wired this to a permanent live via an inline fuse. (Incidenatlly this new socket is ideal for powering the sat nav - no extension wire draped all over the place).

I did this two weeks ago and the car stood idle for a week then I've been on holiday for a week only to return today to a flat battery! (This despite my solar voltaire trickle charging panel being plugged in for all that time!!!!!)

So to my questions: (at last they all say as one)

a) Is there anything obvious that people know about this model Espace that flattens batteries?
b) How do I fix it?
c) How can I check if there is a drain on the battery when the car is standing? (I own a multimeter and with the battery out of the car I get 4.5 Megga ohms between the car's positive and negative battery leads - does anybody know if this is correct?)
and lastly
d) How can I check if the alternator is charging the battery correctly in the first place?

Thanks in ever hopeful appreciation and anticipation

Currently in chrisball666's garage:
2009 Honda Accord, 2015 Renault Captur, 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, 1972 Honda CB 500 and a 1996 Nonda 90

Last edited by chrisball666; 19th July 2008 at 07:21 AM.
  5 Lastest Threads by chrisball666
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Kangoo 2004 rear seats Interiors batfink5 3 214 31st January 2016 03:41 PM
Megane III - Steering Wheel and Bluetooth Interiors huwwatkins 1 2783 13th October 2010 05:34 AM
Front tow point Bodywork Tiggerz_SRi 7 6434 3rd August 2008 11:19 AM
Espace 2000 16v Clutch Engines chrisball666 20 3317 2nd August 2008 03:16 PM
Repeated flat battery Electronics Mike11 29 5416 18th July 2008 02:45 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome