Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MOT Test Emission Test Results Survey Thread - Member feedback wanted

View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 20th April 2006 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by Horatio
But the school run 4x4 is the epitome of all evil now. If you put VED onto fuel prices, then loads more people will buy these things just for carting the sprogs around and doing the Sainsburys run. They need their 4x4s though because without them, how would they park on the pavement??? But it isn't logical that more people will buy guzzlers if the VED is added to the price of petrol... quite the opposite, IMO. Besides, if you're saving on VED, fuel and possibly insurance also, it would be quite an incentive to leave the car at home and travel by train. Likewise, a thrifty motor becomes doubly attractive, no? Well, at least until the railways even things out by raising their tariffs.

If anything, I think things will swing the other way, with VED increasing for larger engined vehicles. They've promised to freeze fuel duty for a while, so they've got to find another way of milking the motorist. Yes, I don't think for a moment that they ever will decrease it

At least VED isn't as bad as it is in Ireland... yet. I suggest putting on some soothing music and taking a few deep breaths before looking up what your 3 litre would cost to tax over there. Yes, I believe you but aren't they still in favour of equestrianism over there?
Whatever the direction taken by the decision makers, it is quite obvious that nothing will make one iota of difference because we (and I don't mean only the motorist) will still get milked till we run dry.

Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome