Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane - Engines - Chugging Megane - Toxic Fume Filter

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 21st April 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Another chugging Megane II

This happened to my wife about 1 mile away from home; toxic fume warning light came on and engine was misfiring. I rang local dealer (Crawley Down Group) next morning; they wanted me to bring car in! But having read the forum plus handbook I declined. They finally said call the AA. AA man arrived within 30 minutes and immediately knew what the problem was. He checked each coil to locate faulty one, then took it out and checked the date and no. which fitted within the 'dodgy batch'. So he replaced all 4 under warranty. He was surprised the Dealer didn't check this during the 36k service 3 weeks ago, as this is a known problem. He confirmed decision not to drive the car as this could kill the catalytic converter. He advised telling Dealer of the problem, as they should change the spark plugs even though they were replaced at the 36k service. Took car to Dealer today for a new rear window motor (under warranty). He said AA man was being over cautious; they hadn't seen any spark plug or catalytic converter problems following this problem.
I definitely recommend calling the AA rather than the Dealer; they know of the problem, they carry the spare parts and they fix it quickly.
Generally, Dealer has been good with warranty repairs (I've had several!) but I'm worried about costs once the 3 years are up!

Megane II Dynamique 1.6vvt platinum + Comfort Pack. Hands Free Renault Key is great!
Currently in DespyDan's garage:
2014 Capture Dynamique S MediaNav 1.5dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome