Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 2 - 130bhp dCi Purchase Advice

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 29th July 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 2 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
If considering purchasing one of the newer renault diesels check if it has an FAP filter on the exhaust system - they are known to cause problems and not just on Renaults. I agree most modern engines can cope very well with 100,000 miles plus if properly serviced (I'm not talking about Renault service intervals here). Its not the engine that would concern me but the mileage on the running and transmission gear especially if the vehicle was used on country roads, etc.
Yep I agree high mileage is not necessary a problem it's how the miles were put on .

Town driving, Short haul, Car loaded to the gunnel's each trip, maybe had a hard life towing a caravan or trailer all are contributory factors.

A neighbour of mine has a diesel Astra from new his daily commute to work involves .8 of a mile round trip 5 days a week, now what is the life expectancy of his engine ? Yet his car will be sold on as a low mileage one owner car.

I personally would rather a higher mileage than a very low mileage, cars don't suit continuous short haul trips in my experience.

In most cases unfortunately we don't know the detailed day to day history of any used car we buy
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome