Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Replacing number plates?

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 30th July 2008
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Originally Posted by VelSatisfied View Post
All good advice given.

A couple of tips for you once you have your replacements;

Carefully remove the old plates and mount them over the new ones (keeping the plastic protective film on them).

Fix them in place with masking tape (or similar), and using the existing holes, drill through the new plates.

You probably already know this (sorry if I'm going over old ground), but its surprising how many don't (as they've never needed to).

Thats assuming the original ones where on straight
It surprising the number of cars on the road with number plates that have been fitted squew whiff. Worst of all is the ones where the yellow screw cap is on top of a letter or number. What I do is stick the plate on temporarily with blue-tack - stand back from a distance until I am happy with its alignment or in some cases ask for a second opinion (depending on how many beers I've had the night before )
When happy drill the plate with the hole suitable for the screws or bolts. Remove the plate and enlarge the holes in the plate by a few miilimetres - this allows the plate to move when it expands or contracts and reduces the risk of cracking. Screw it firmly into position using either plastic bolts or suitable screws with coloured caps. Then stand back and admire my work and have a nother beer.
Having said that I stuck my last set on with super sticky pads and if I ever try to remove them the plastic backing on the plate will probably stay stuck on the car - knowing my luck. My local number plate supplier recommends sticking plates on with the proper tape as he claims less plates get cracked that way as the tape acts a shock absorber during minor bumps, etc. If anyone wants to steal them all the screws and bolts in the world won't stop them.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome