Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Driving in France..........

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st July 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Driving in France..........

I thought I would share some info with you if you are planning to drive through France on Holiday..........

I live in Belgium & drive all over France, Switzerland, Italy, Holland, Germany etc for work (& pleasure), and being a "canny" Scotsman I am always aware of fuel prices especially diesel.

I'm not bragging, but here at home, we pay around 1.28***8364; a liter for the black stuff (about 90p/L) and am always watching prices as I have to pay my own fuel and expense it back to the business.

However I had driven from here to down past Bordeaux a couple of weeks ago and I was amazed at the fuel prices driving thru France on the Autoroutes. Diesel was around 1.53 - 1.58 (averaging at 1.55 my wife reckoned). I didn't buy any but by sheer chance we stopped over in Poitiers for a bite to eat and across the road, the Carrefour Supermarket was selling at 1.35***8364;/L (20cents cheaper than their own Autoroute stations). So I topped her up there.

On a 50L top up that would save you 10***8364; or so per tank.

All during the trip we noticed that all supermarkets in main towns (Carrefour, LeClerc, Champion & Geant) are significantly cheaper than the Autoroute stations by on average 20c/L. The town stations are also cheaper than the Autoroutes but it is more noticible at supermarkets. - I suppose like Tesco / Asda in the UK are fighting for your business.

So my advice is:

When driving thru France and you are at that point of needing fuel, pull off the Péage at the next town, follow the advertising for the supermarkets & top up there.

Yes I know it's more convenient to fuel up en-route but with the cost & quality of motorway food compared to a town cafe/restaurant I think the value is better. And anyway if you pull of the peage and on again at the same place, the péage cost is the same as for the full journey.
Currently in Maq's garage:
2010 Range Rover Sport HSE (LHD) & Clio 1.4 16v RTE (LHD)
  5 Lastest Threads by Maq
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio II 1.4 16v non starter Electronics Maq 0 804 1st February 2012 09:11 AM
PLEASE READ : FIXED Laguna dci - warning light,... Laguna mikk1301 22 28270 4th August 2009 02:16 PM
2004 Clio 16v sport on "fire warning" ... Interiors ottoman 4 1249 12th February 2009 12:19 PM
Laguna II clutch issue.........weird Engines Lagdti 7 1825 9th February 2009 02:04 PM
It had to happen............. Engines bpowell555 8 1853 19th October 2008 06:24 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome