Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Interiors - Speakers Info

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 24th April 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to Benny
The lump of metal only foul speakers which have large magnets - the set of Image Dynamics Chameleons I tried to fit had a mount depth of about 3", and the mags were about 2.5" across - which was why they wouldn't fit!

Alpine speakers generally have much smaller magnets, especially the Type R series.

I didn't bother changing the front tweeters - I just disconnected them and surface-mounted a set of tweeters (DLS UP1C) in mount pods and ran the wires down the sides of the dashboard to the crossovers which were wedged up underneath the dash.

You may also find that you need to dremel off one of the four mount lugs that come with aftermarket speakers, as the stock midbass driver is fixed with only two Torx screws...all of the aftermarket 13cm speakers I've seen have four mount lugs.

I would also strongly recommend a Dynamat door kit if you're planning on running any real power through the speakers - they only mount onto fairly flexible plastic and they do tent to rattle quite a bit. In retrospect, I'd also have made up some MDF baffles and attached these to the door, and then mounted the speakers onto these, as a strong mounting can have a dramatic effect on the quality of the sound.

Currently in Benny's garage:
His other half up the wall
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome