Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Vauxhall 1.2 litre Petrol Engine

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 4th August 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by mrtotty View Post
I have just returned from France where I had the dubious pleaure of driving an Opel (Vauxhall) Corsa 1.2 over a few thousand kilometres.
What a dreadful engine: slow, a shocking lack of torque especially, and horrifying petrol consumption for the size.
It just goes to show how good the Clio dCi engines are. I suppose a fairer comparison would have been a CdTi Corsa, but none were available at the Avis emporium at Paris CDG.
I suppose the bottom line is that after almost 50,000 miles in a good diesel, I simply can't work out why people bother with petrol engines any more.
Just be thankful it wasn't the awful 1 litre 3 pot. Goes like a weedy petrol. Sounds like a rattly old diesel.

Petrol isn't dead yet, as far as I'm concerned. There's a lot to be said for an engine that'll rev to the other side of 6K and still be producing usable torque. Driving a diesel makes you lazy about changing down and also puts you into the habit of changing up too early. If you take the time to adapt back to driving a petrol engine again, it can be quite rewarding.

That's not to say that weedy petrols aren't horrible to drive (the 1.2 8v Clio we had in Tenerife certainly was) but given the choice between petrol and diesel engines of similar peak power outputs, I have to honestly say I'd take the petrol for 'fun' driving, and only opt for the diesel if I wanted to be lazy about gear changes, was planning on towing a lot or intended to be sensible about fuel economy.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome