Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - My car is doing 94mpg!

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 7th August 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by alexs View Post
Update: well I reset the mpg/distance/etc. this morning before I set off for work and it's now reporting a much less frugal 36ish mpg.

I don't think for a second that it's accurate, but at least it's a bit more realistic than 94mpg!! (Darn it, I thought I had bought a wondercar then...)
This does make a bit of sense if you think about how the trip calculates the average MPG.

It'll keep an ongoing total of the total milage and total fuel used since you last reset.

The display for the average mpg will then be a simple calculation of the total distance divided by the total fuel used.

Given that the trip computer is a simple micro processor it will have limited storage for these values.

What I guess happend in your case was that the total fuel used figure reached the maximum the processor could store. This made it look like you were not using any more fuel. Since the total distance was still increasing the mpg started to rise.

Do you know how many miles you had done since the previous reset?

Currently in Eeeps's garage:
2011 Clio III dCi 88 Dynamique and 2016 CitroŽn Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 BlueHDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome