Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Leaking RX4 rear door seal ?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 9th August 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I think I've figured out where the problem lies!

The RX4 rear door has a black window seal on the top which seals against the top window when the top window is shut.

This window seal is held down at either end by what appears to be a adhesive rubber pad. The window seal looks like it is fully sealed to the door at its ends but it is not!

The window seal shape means that water gets trapped at its ends when the car is facing down hill. Trapped water then flows under the ends of window seal into the car. Water trickles down the inside of the rear of the car door onto the bottom of the door seal. Water then floods over the bottom of the rear car door seal into the car.

If the car is facing uphill (front wheels are high) then not as much water gets in, and the water that does get in will trickle out between the bottom of the rear door car door seal and the rear card door, as it is more difficult for it to flood over the rear door seal into the car when the front wheels are raised.

I've just used silicone adhesive to fully seal the rear door window seal (at its ends) to the car door.

I will let you know what happens today as we've got rain scheduled this afternoon.

Hope the above makes sense.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome