Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Flat battery issues

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 25th April 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by WebCode
I would advise against jump starting your vehicle from another car.. As this can cause voltage spikes that will destroy the ECU & or UCH etc..

If you use a boost charger to jump it, then turn the sidelights on before connecting the charger then start it.. This seems to help in lessening the chance of killing the onboard electronics.
Have you had issues before where people have damaged ECU 's as a result of jumpstarting on newer vehicles? I'm aware it used to be and issue a few years ago but it seems manufacturers became aware of this and have rectified the problem.

Originally Posted by WebCode
As for the battery dying.. Well the heater motor does draw a fair bit or current.. But the Batteries fitted to Megane II are a known problem.. Its not unusual for them to fail after 18-24 months..
I'm glad we're not the only ones to have problems with these batterys. Sometimes they last less than a year here. With the heat the electrolyte evaporates and the battery is sealed so it cannot be re-filled
Currently in Mike_H's garage:
Peugeot 307 (Pls don't ban me)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome