Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to change front discs and pads(with pics)

View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old 15th August 2008
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
In April 2007 I emailed APEC brake suppliers regarding the use of copper or brass based anti-seize compounds. Their Product Manager emailed be back with his recommendations and opinion. Here I quote the contents of his reply although I have yet to receive general fitting instructions as he stated.

Here is his reply to my query:-

Hi Noel, I will look at compiling some general fitting procedures over the next few days and get them to you. As to copper sulphate grease/copper ease, I would NOT recommend this. In the main they are clay based and will dry and accumulates dust and have an adverse effect to that you are trying to achieve. I would recommend high melting point grease such as wheel bearing grease, this should be used on the edges of the pad back plate where they are in contact with the caliper housing or carrier. All our pads have the necessary anti squeal shims already fitted as per the original equipment pad, so you should have no problems here with squeal. Squeal is an oscillation or vibration, you need to be outside the frequency to achieve a quiet brake and the shims endeavor to do this; all our pads are scorched, a process which is very expensive but helps with initial bedding where squeal normally first shows its self.

David Lloyd

Product manager.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome