Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Towing A Vehicle - Advice Needed

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 18th August 2008
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Fishing the Sea Champion
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 11
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
If I recall correctly, the new limitations mean that you have to take an additional test if you're going to tow more than a 100% match or over a certain gross train weight. The former isn't recommended anyway, and that latter wouldn't be attainable with your average car and trailer. Though a big 4x4 (e.g. Range Rover) and a huge caravan may exceed the limit for those on the newer licenses.

Also on the subject of A-Frames, the requirement is for trailers over 750Kg to have auto-reverse overrun brakes. This effectively makes A-Frames illegal for anything over 750Kg, as even if you could hook up overrun brakes, there's no way you could make them auto-reverse. There are different laws in effect for recovering a broken down vehicle, but for simply transporting a vehicle (including one that has been deliberately disabled) use of an A-frame will leave you with an illegal combination.
Hi Horatio iam not sure who brought up the word A-Frame and iam not that sure about the laws on them to be honest i was talking about a spec fitted to a lorry that lifts the front wheels off the ground when towing just like these ones that a fitted to the towing trucks and are not removable

You can just see it under the ramp at the back and these are legal and are fitted and not removable

cheers all the best Donald
Currently in Donald's garage:
2005 Mercedes Benz C200 Classic SE Kompresser & 1998 Fiat Cinquecento Fire Sporting,some may say i could do far better?,i say i could do far worse.

Last edited by Donald; 18th August 2008 at 06:11 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome