Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Towing A Vehicle - Advice Needed

View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 18th August 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by petercee View Post
dont you have tow dolly trailers over there, thats a 2 wheel trailer, you drive the car up, front wheels only on to the dolly trailer, strap it on, and tow it on back wheels, good for automatics, quite common here, the car then becomes part of the trailer, like a fifth wheel caravan.
Yes we have dollys here. The thing is though you can not use them with a car that is declared off the road. That means a car with no MOT (Safety certificate) or Road Tax.

If the car is declared off the road (SORN = Statutory Off Road Notification) then the car is not allowed to have any of its wheels on the public highway. That means a dolly can not be used as the car would still have its back wheels on the road.

They enforce this very heavily too.

I don't know what its like where you live but over here its literally treated as a criminal offence and I'm not joking. Plus with the rate of inflation and the cost of living it makes it very hard for anyone to buy a SORN'd car cheap and get it on the road. I had to back out of a safrane purchase twice for a saff which was SORN'd which was annoying for both me and the seller. Years ago you could move a car quite easily and the local cops wouldn't worry too much. These days they're very hot on it.
Currently in delta1066's garage:
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome