Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #77 of (permalink) Old 26th April 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by ren25
We have a Clio 1.2 Grande which is fitted with a Metal bonnet catch and a Metal safety catch.
Before we all go off our heads and start sueing each other lets sit and think.
The facts are incorrect to start with, as mentioned above. So who knows which ones were fitted with plastic ones?
Now I may be wrong, but I was always lead to believe that the Driver was responsible for making sure the car was road worthy. This is not a high tech item and anyone who can open a bonnet, can surly tell if it's broken or sticky. We then come to maintenance ie an oil can!!!! no certificates needed to operate one by the way.
It was mentioned that you use WD40, but I would suggest oil of any sort would be better as WD40 dries out and you come back to the catch being sticky.
Perhaps someone will enlighten me as to where I've gone wrong in the above, as I think most of you think that passing the buck lets you off.
The picture posted by Timmy Toad also appears to be a metal catch :
The one on watchdog did seem to be different though.
Has anyone got a plastic catch they could take a photo of?

Many people get their car serviced at a garage, who should lubricate the catch as part of a service, but who knows how often it is missed. It would not occur to most people that this part requires maintenance.
I do believe that it is a fundamentally poor design as other designs will not allow the bonnet to flip up even if neglected.
I do not own a Clio but think it is a very serious problem as obstruction of vision along with the shock of a broken windscreen is likely to cause a crash.

Spray grease is the best to use on it, but many people have WD40 lying about and is better than nothing. The best thing to do is use WD40 to clean it followed by moving the mechanism several times then wipe it off then use oil or spray grease.

With all the cars I have owned they have a metal striker loop on the bonnet and a proper catch mechanism similar to that on the doors.
With this type of mechanism it is obvious if it is siezed as the bonnet will not close properly, also the mechanism is forced into the closed position by dropping the bonnet.
From the pictures I have seen on this forum and watchdog, the Clio safety catch only uses a spring to return it to its proper latched position, and there is no way of checking if it has engaged after closing the bonnet. It does seem to be a cost cutting weaker design.
Currently in andy_tech's garage:
Ford Mondeo

Last edited by andy_tech; 26th April 2006 at 12:37 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome