Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #78 of (permalink) Old 26th April 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Oilyrag
Thank you and a very valid point. I know of nobody who will drive a car with a door that is not closed properly. What is so different with a bonnet. The saftey catch is as it says, a saftey catch. It is not designed to withstand the pressures exerted on it at 70 mph driving down the motorway.
Every time I open my bonnet I always check to make sure it is closed and locked into position before I drive off. It is just a habit I have gotten into. Every one will always blame some one else for their mistakes.
I'm not saying that Renault have not got a problem but I think they may be on a par with every one else.
This is only my opinion of coarse and others can and will disagree.
Who knows if the bonnets were not closed properly or there was a failure of the main latch mechanism?

I believe that the safety catch should be able to withstand motorway driving, there is little point having it otherwise.
It is most important at motorway speeds that the bonnet does not flip up as it is very likely to cause injury.
It would be better not having one, then the rattling and bouncing of the bonnet at low speeds would prompt investigation.
It is a safety catch - designed to hold the bonnet down in the event of failure of the main catch or if it is not engaged.
Currently in andy_tech's garage:
Ford Mondeo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome