Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Operatingfootbreak causes hazard lights to activate

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 21st August 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
OK the plot thickens - Tuesday morning I had it booked with Cooks and Son, one of the local Renault dealers, whilst I was on my way there I couldn't replicate the fault so I canceled as I really needed the car to get to important appointments.
Was OK for a few miles in busy traffic then all of a sudden it started doing it again - only this time when the wipers in auto mode clicked in and out the hazards would come on!!

I've had a good look around to see in there is water tracking in somewhere to eliminate the possibility of damp but nothing obvious so far.
Revisited the front headlight assemebly where I replaced a front sidelight bulb recently and can't see any cables either stressed or twisted through the process of a bulb change. In the process of doing this I would get the hazards to come on for the following reasons:
Pressing the break pedal, the hazards come on - if I then switch the lights on or off, the hazards go off.
Manipulation of the windscreen wiper stalk causes the hazards to go on - switch the lights on or off, the hazards go off.

Now here's a thing, With the key in the ignition, when I popped the bonnet catch the hazards came on!!!
Also my daughter last night noticed the hazards came on with the car locked up on the drive.

Also if I switch the hazards on I notice you can hear the relay switch clicking as they flash on and off.
When the hazards activate randomly I don't here the click.

Am I right in thinking that the alarm system has its own klaxon and doesn't use the horn - if so I suspect that this has become faulty and what I'm seeing is the alarm system being triggered which has always been temperamental.

Does any of this ring any bells with anyone?
Currently in martynpanes's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.8 Privilege Sports Tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome