Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What's the law on reverse seating?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 21st August 2008
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Hi Donald, I did some digging into this along time ago when we had the Espace2 ... the up shot was ...

1/ Renault did not recommend reversed seats for use while travelling.

2/ The police didnt have an issue as long as the seat belt laws were not broken.

3/The Espace 2 case that had 6 fixed 3 point belts and a central lap belt , the fixed belts were attached to the car chassis then these had to be replaced in use with lap belts while the seats were reversed as the 3 point belts DO NOT operate as lapbelts when the seats are reversed, although they obviously fit.

We only ever used the central 2nd row seat reversed with a fixed child seat (a Britax Freeway using the Lapbelt and a Britax fixing kit)

Espave IV
I believe any of the rear 5 seats in an Espace IV can be reversed as the seat belt is integral to the seat ... unless you have 2nd row outer seat or 3rd row seat airbags fitted then you cant.

I stress these were my findings and not a statement of suitability or comment on road traffic laws.

Why is it the older I get .... the better I think I was ?
Currently in Truckbusuk's garage:
Clio2 1.4RT Phase1(VF1BB0S) + Volvo XC90 SE Lux D5 Geartronic

Last edited by Truckbusuk; 21st August 2008 at 10:04 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome