Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane 1 - Speedo Problems

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st August 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Renault Megane 1 - Speedo Problems

I've read a number of posts regarding the megane speedo problems but I am still confused. The posts seem to indicated that the speedo is run off a sensor in the gearbox unless ABS is fitted. In that case there is no sensor but the speed is sensed by the nearside front ABS sensor.
That's fine but - I have ABS AND a sensor in the gearbox, so which will be driving the speedo?

I had not considered the ABS sensor so my dealer duly provided me with a gearbox sensor - which I duly took back because it didn't look the same as mine . Turns out that I have the 'pin' type and this had been replaced by the 'clip' type.
After installing the sensor I then found that the connector would not fit! ! Arrggghh!!! The original connector had three pins in a triangular configuration while the new part had them inline. Worse than that, the numbering on the pins was different (A,B1,B2 on the old one and 1,2,3 on the new one) so i couldn't do a bit of rewiring.
Speaking to the parts guy he claims that there are no modified parts and the Renault mechanics I have spoken to were not much help beyond 'Book it in and we'll have a look'.

So now I don't know I have a duff sensor or not, how to wire the new one in or even if this is the problem anyway.

Oh yes, warning lights . My Engine Management light comes on after a few miles and the ABS light is quite spuradic but more ofter than not it comes on before I reach my work (about 20 miles).

Please help - I'm too young to be this grey!
Currently in DSCarson's garage:
Megane 1999 1.6 Alize
  5 Lastest Threads by DSCarson
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
CV Joints (with ABS Rings) Wheels & tyres DSCarson 7 1477 9th October 2008 06:27 PM
Renault Megane 1 - Speedo Problems Electronics Sqwidge 15 3970 21st August 2008 12:25 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome