Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Gas discharge bulbs or not?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 26th August 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by delta1066 View Post

I've been to halfords to track down a spare bulb kitt for the saff. Looking in their book it offers me 2 choices of bulb for the beast. With gas discharge or without.

How can I identify what the saff uses?
Also Renault say that you must not fit a bulb which isn't approved by them as it may damage the headlight. Are halfords bulbs going to be ok or should I ring Renault and expect a £300 bill for a spare bulb?

What is gas discharge anyway?
To answer you last question first ...

There are typically two ways to get light for headlamps.

The traditional way is for the bulb to have a tungsten filament. Direct connection of the 12V from your battery causes this filament to get white hot and give off the light.

The second more recent method (for headlamps) is to use a special gas inside the bulb without any filament. When an electrical discharge occurs in the gas (a bit like continuous lightening) this gives off the light directly.

The thing to note is that the bulbs are not in anyway compatible.

For Renault you can identify which type you have by the word XENON in the headlamp housing. (Xenon is the gas used in the discharge type bulb).

Looking at the bulb the filament is clearly visible in the standard type.

Currently in Eeeps's garage:
2011 Clio III dCi 88 Dynamique and 2016 CitroŽn Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 BlueHDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome