Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Clio 1 - Speedo Needle Jumping

8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  VelSatisfied 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I would go a bit 21st century on this, so I made a video, edited it added some music, and a nice picture and uploaded it.

(yes I was bored, but at least my a levels taught me something useful lol)

Anyway the problem is my speedo needle is ticking, what I mean is that it will bounce up and down especially at low speeds (impossible to tell between 10 and 20mph) only till I reach 70mph is the needle smooth (which is not very often as I don't do loads of motorway driving)

so here is the video (note, the video doesn't show it as its seen with the naked eye, it's a lot worse then that)

#4 ·
I believe it is a cable, but the garage told me to go to Renault, I don't want to pay a ton for it to be fixed (13 year old car - new car in may ) but it's one of those things that gets on your nerves (and when I'm near a speed camera I drop my speed to 20mph lol)

So would I have to dismantle the dashboard to get to the cable?

#5 ·
You could try and follow the run of the cable and try and straighten out any tight turns it goes through.The inner cable wears through the inner sleeve and starts to catch causing the needle to jump.

Sometimes a little re-route is all that is needed,other times a new cable is required.

If you need to change the cable you'll have to remove the dash binnacle,but from memory it's not too difficult a job.:)

#8 ·
Another tip for this type of problem (with a mechanical cable) is to pack out each end of the cable with some LM grease, which will reduce the play in the cable.

Its worth a try.

Hope it helps.

Paul:)

#10 ·
It depends on what kind of car you have - the older ones have a mechnical cable running from the gearbox, newer cars have a speed sensor which operates the speedo electronically via a sensor on the hub.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.