Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Immobiliser issue; keycard reader question

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 14th September 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Immobiliser issue; keycard reader question

Hi All,

I have the - apparently frequently occurring - problem that when I insert the keycard (LagII, 2004), I get the immobilser light flashing rapidly and the car won't start. I've been reading up about this issue on the forums and have read many interesting articles about the micro-switches in the card reader, the cards themselves and how they tend to fail etc.. Alas, I can't find my second key to determine if it's the reader or the key that's at fault, but that's another story.

Anyway, having read up on the issue, I find previous posts contradict each other on one particular point... If I change the card reader itself, some people say you need to go to a Renault dealer for reprogramming and some say you don't. Does anyone know the correct answer?

I guess it depends on whether the card reader is doing the comparison of the codes (between the card and car) or whether it is simply reading the card and passing the code on to some higher authority in the car.

Many thanks,
Currently in Salvidar's garage:
Laguna II (Phase 1 - '05), 2.0, Initiale Sport Tourer
  5 Lastest Threads by Salvidar
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna 2 with steering "with a mind of its... Steering and Suspension gjw66 1 749 27th January 2013 04:36 PM
Reversing sensors question Electronics ernestoegh 5 2161 3rd March 2012 11:22 AM
Fog light broken glass - MOT issue? Cars & motoring Salvidar 6 3139 9th July 2011 05:23 PM
Fitting a Bluetooth phone kit to a Laguna 2... Electronics AshleyMason 6 4825 19th September 2010 07:00 PM
Laguna 2.0 16v Non-turbo Hesitant Start Engines Salvidar 2 1385 14th July 2010 07:36 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome