Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Working on the stereo

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 15th September 2008 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
Working on the stereo

Now I have a few moments on my hands to sort these things out, I've decided it's desperately imperative that I sort out my car stereo...

At the moment, I have a pair of Juice Orange (JS63?) 6.5" 3-ways in the front doors, which I believe are relatively decent speakers (certainly judging by the prices I can find them for anyway, and the weights of the magnets on the things!) - at the moment, I have absolutely no bass when moving, although it sounds fine standing still, which got me thinking, even if the clarity is night-and-day compared to the stock speakers (which admittedly look fairly basic on a poverty-spec Lag 1 - there's nothing in the tweeter positions on the dash at the moment )

With my 205, I had much better (louder without distorting and more of the bass carried at speed) sound, even though the door speakers were only relatively cheap Encounter 5.25" parts purchased from Halfords on a day of desperation at the disintegrating surrounds of my stock speakers (though it had 5.25s in the rear pillars too, whereas I have the horrible 4" roof-mounts with absolutely no resonant cavity space or decently solid mountings for the rears in the Lag, although these have, again, been replaced with Juice Orange series (JS43?) speakers - the magnets are almost as big as the cone diameter on those, I kid you not! But that doesn't make them magically able to defy the laws of 4" speakers and produce any decent power below about 120Hz)

I think part of the problem comes from the resonance of the clunky old diesel engine, which when combined with 'quality' French door trim and speaker mountings is a recipe for disaster, though I'd certainly say in terms of the sound I'm aware of in the cabin, the Lag seems much quieter than my 205, especially at speed.

Working on the theory that more is always better, I've got hold of an old Maystar 2x175W RMS into 4-ohm amp with the hopes of running some 8" mid-bass drivers (or maybe 6x9s?) mounted in the doors of cubby holes at the side of the boot (which may take some reinforcement) with some tweeters mounted in the original roof mountings, probably angled towards the back seats. I've already ordered a wiring kit for sorting that out and will be working out some suitable speakers based on what fits - I think I actually have a nice meaty pair of 8" mid-bass units I rescued from a disintegrating pair of Wharfedales a couple of years back which I will be recycling if they fit - just need to build some suitable crossovers and find some tweeters and a way of mounting them in the roof.

However, there are a couple of outstanding questions... I've ordered myself (much against my financial sense and the spirit of doing everything on a shoestring budget) a pair of Infinity Reference REF6010CS speakers for the front on the basis that at the moment, all the treble power is going into people's legs and the bags in the footwell, which I'm hoping a component system with separate tweeters (hopefully I'll find a way to mount them under the factory tweeter grilles under the windscreen but it's not the end of the world if I can't.) I have been told (and my logic would dictate based on the 92dB sensitivity of these units) that the front channels from the HU (which is a fairly flash Kenwood which claims to be a 4x45w RMS unit) ought to be able to run them satisfactorily, although I don't know if this is really the case, I may upgrade to a larger amp or multiple amps later (although that's a hell of a job with the wiring unless I mount a seperate power amp somewhere nearer the front of the car.) I presume the HU will be okay running no back speakers - or there would be a big problem mounting such a unit in one of the many cars which comes without back speakers! I know the remaining power on those channels is effectively wasted 'cause there's no way of bridging these things but I think I'll have a far better experience running larger rears off a dedicated amp - perhaps at some point I'll build some pods for the rear doors to allow the re-use of my current fronts, and the spare HU channels there)

I would like any advice on the setup - obviously, I am trying to do this on a budget, and I can't really go having a sub taking up my boot-space, hence the idea of mounting the speakers in the cubby holes at the side - I know it's not a precise art and they're probably not really a big enough cavity for larger drivers, but I can't see many other options for discretely mounting sizable speakers in the car...

I'd also like to know whether you guys have any opinion on the value of upgrading the wiring from the headunit to the speakers - I bi-wired my home speakers with some decent grade speaker cable to a sound difference which was at bare minimum a convincing placebo effect , but I fear that might be wasted on the car where you've got relatively short runs of wire to the front speakers, and would take a lot of work...

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)

Last edited by Azurael; 16th September 2008 at 12:24 AM.
  5 Lastest Threads by Azurael
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Dear Admin General Chat HeatherJ 18 3450 10th April 2012 09:26 PM
2-wheeled steed My mottah! coup 4 1099 9th April 2012 02:38 PM
It's going mad Electronics mord 4 1258 8th March 2012 10:56 AM
And you thought Renault boot doors were stupid... YouTube Azurael 5 3221 28th February 2012 09:22 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome