Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Working on the stereo

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 15th September 2008 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
Oh, and incidentally, for my set up, 10-guage power and ground cables, and 17-guage speaker wire should be OK, right? My planned speakers are 10" (yes, they will fit within the panels and the clearance behind is sufficient - measured that one first!) 125WRMS@4***937;, and my amp is 2x175WRMS in bridged mode into a 4***937; load, so they should be pretty well matched - I always prefer to use an 'overpowered' amp for purpose when designing audio systems, working on the theory that a speaker is much more likely to be killed by amp-induced distortion than overloading of the voice coil , although obviously neither is desirable!

I know a fair bit about speaker design (I'm a bit of a high-end audio buff, though I try to stick to my budget - I have designed and built a couple of pairs of Hi-Fi speakers which I was very pleased with, although all of my calculations were done based on the results of handy formula calculators, not any innate knowledge) and it's obvious that the cavities behind the speakers are nowhere near large enough or well-sealed enough to count as any kind of enclosure. I'm just hoping that no dimension in the resonant area is three times any other, because that's a recipe for disastrous sound! Most other deficiencies in cabinet design can be overcome with powaaaah and some clever equalising and well-set cross-overs, and I'm hoping that for a small greenhouse on wheels, this should be vastly more power than I'll ever need.

I've read that it's better to run the power and signal cables to the amp down opposite sides of the car to avoid interference - worthwhile? It shouldn't be too much of a trial with the Lag - I took out the existing antenna wire which ran all the way to the boot from an old car kit which was in the Lag when I got it, and it was quite easy to remove the plastic trim under the doors to get the wiring through on the N/S, at least... I think the main trial will be getting the +VE from the battery through the firewall - at least I have quite a bit of space under the glove compartment to play around with, having no passenger air-bag, no A/C and relatively few electrical toys in the car...

I feel like a bit of a n00b saying that the wiring kit I ordered has a 'remote' cable too, what's this for...?

Let's just hope the alternator can cope Although I don't know the rating of the alternator on a non-A/C 2.2D Lag (the 2.2D A/C alternator is 110A, incidentally) in reality I doubt it would be a problem anyway, as the likelihood of me ever using this system at more than a fraction of its capacity is minimal! Plus, since I cleaned the ground strap and battery terminals up, the main beams don't dim at low engine speeds any more Just have to be careful not to leave the stereo on for too long without the engine running, 'cause even though my lazy diesel has a big battery, it's not magic!

Edit: 80A alt on a 2.2D/TD non-A/C, apparently...

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)

Last edited by Azurael; 16th September 2008 at 12:34 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome