Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane does start (sometimes!)

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 18th September 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi, apologies if this has already been said but I had the same problem and have now fixed it.

I have a megane 1.6 8v and when I bought it did the same thing - wouldn't start, but left for a while would start fine - and became more frequent with longer wait times before would fire up - and same checks done - battery fine, normal lights and immobiliser off okay.

I followed the red cable from the battery down to underneath the engine (to the solenoid I think it's called) - it's exposed to the road with no protection so has obviously been picking up water and dirt over the years - I literally just unclipped the two connecting wires and gave them a wipe with some sand paper to clean the connections - this was about 7 months ago and (touch wood) it has not done it ONCE since - so that was definately the fault with mine - may be worth a try?

I haven't been able to get back under since to get a picture - and I lack common sense to do it at the time

Hope that helps.
Currently in mikemeganert's garage:
Renault Megane I Sport 1.6 RT
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome