Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Laguna 2 - Removing Centre Brake Light

14K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dave_mezza2006 
#1 ·
Does anybody know how to remove the 3rd brake light unit completely from the hatchback model. I can see how to access the bulb holder from inside the tailgate but not how to completely remove the whole unit. :confused:

I wish to replace the tungsten bulb assembly with an LED strip within the existing housing.:)

Thanks !

#2 ·
If you replace the tungsten bulb unit with an LED you will probably bring up a lighting warning as its resistance will be different. Either the replacement unit will need to have an in-built resistor or you'll need to add one into the circuit.
To remove the unit completely you will need to remove the inner boot lid cover.:)

#3 ·
3rd Brake Light removal

Thanks for the reply.

Succesfully removed 3rd brake light by squeezing together the two gold coloured clips and easing the unit out.

Removed the existing tungsten bulb holder assembly and replaced it with a 3rd brake light LED strip and the clear lense from a Vauxhall Astra hatchback from my local scrappy (£5) behind the existing Renault red lense which fits quite tight and does not therefore require securing.

Spliced into the brake light wiring of the Laguna from the LED PCB using the wiring and all working okay, - reassembled in no time.
No resistors required.

A cheap mod for any Laguna owner & it looks good too! .:)

#7 ·
hmmm. Az is right, on the Lag 1 phase 2 (not sure about the phase 1) the 3rd brake light was LED's and as said you would'nt epect them to change back to bulbs as LED's are much brighter. Which is good from a safety point of view obviously.

Mind you, I wouldnt put anything past Renault :rolleyes:

You know, I've never checked mine, so wouldnt know if its a bulb or an LED - I mean I would only check if it stopped working.

Im intrigued now. :confused:

#10 ·
I haven't a clue what type of 3rd brake light is on my Lag II but I hope its the tungsten type - much easier to replace and fix if necessary. If memory serves me correctly the light cannot be brighter than 21W - the same as brake lights and flashers. LED's always appear brighter because they have a different colour of light. If some ¤¤¤¤ is tailgating me I doubt a brighter lamp would make much difference any way:rofl:

#11 · (Edited)
I can confirm that on the Laguna 2 (well on my one anyway) the 3rd brake light has a traditional capless wedge type bulb in it. Its a bit larger than the type that goes in the sidelights though.

I noticed mine wasnt working yesterday as I couldnt see its reflection when a lorry was up my rear end. :rolleyes:

Got home and undid the access panel and to my surprise found a bulb...it was black so had defo blown.

Very strange that as on my old Lag 1 phase 2 it was a strip of LED's. The only good thing is it will be cheaper to replace the bulb than it would be to replace an LED strip. :d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.