Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #98 of (permalink) Old 1st May 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Any idea what caused it to jam? Poor design, product material, whatever?

The plastic level is held in place and slides through a plastic thing. The friction between this plastic thing and the plastic lever seems to prevent the catch to return to closed position.

I agree with you about previous negative comments... I think that if you follow the manufacturers bonnet closing instructions (such rocket science... do they give instructions on how to close the cabin doors as well? If they consider it so important to follow their instructions and this all being so critical, why don't they provide a sensor like for the hatch lid and passenger doors?) then you should fully expect the thing to be secure. Its such a dangerous thing to needs as I have said before a fail-safe operation. I also think warning light or sound if it is not secured properly...If it wasn't secure when I was driving it took 30 miles till it happened...the bonnet didn't look "up" or bounce or rattle.. I had also been on the motorway before this happened. Check the tension on the lock spring and consider if resonance/vibrations could have caused it to release the centre-pin because it is weak. Is its cable intact or frayed or badly led (it will have a predetermined route getting to the release lever)?

I will check this but I don't want to interfer with anything too much as I might inadvertidly change something and I want insurance assesment to see it as it ceased open.

Other problem I have is this is my only transport and I need it to get to work (i.e I need repairs as fast as possible)... no chance to let Renault stew about whether they will be providing repairs... I could do with a complaints telephone number first to give them a chance to assess the vehicle before it gets fixed.

What a nightmare!!!!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome