Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio diesel vs petrol

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 1st May 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Since going diesel, I've had a few petrol engined hire cars and, of course, driven the Clio a few times. If you try to drive them like a diesel, then they have no poke at all. You have to remember to use the gears and the engine revs, not changing up until you practically hit the red-line when you really want all that the engine has to offer.

If you do that, then even the 1.2 16v feels quite lively, so I can't see the 1.6 being a slug. Though 70 in 5th does feel like you're racing the nuts off it if you're used to a diesel that ticks along at less than 2000 rpm at that speed.

5 door Clios are like rocking horse muck, so you're doing well to find a dCi 65 - the 1.2 8v and 16v seem to be the most popular variants. We needed a 5 door, and the plan was to swap our 3 door 1.2 16v for a 5 door dCi. But we couldn't find one locally, and the few that were on the web were going for silly money, so in the end we settled for a 5 door 1.2 16v, trading in our old one at a local dealer.

The only thing I can suggest is to take a test drive. You should find a reasonable choice of 3 door variants to try at your local dealer, and that should give you a feel for the enigne. The dCi 65 is only 10 horses shy of the 75 that the 1.2 is capable of, and of course it will be torquier.

A quick Google shows that you can chip tune the dCi 65 to a little over 80 bhp, so you always have the option of giving it a boost if it turns out to be a bit on the slow side.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome