Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Bonnet catch failure, common fault?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 24th September 2008 Thread Starter
Beer Jammer
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks for all the concern, and I am amazed myself that I kept so calm, (well calm until I was safely pulled over and it all cought up ith me! lol)
Well, I had a nice inch gap at the bottom of the screen to look through, but being 6ft3, it was quite a squish!

Anyways, the chap who collected the car for repair said that if the saftey catch isnt oiled regular it will seize up, and although it may have been damaged in the incident, he said my latch wasnt 'springy' enough. He also suggested that it should have been done at the last service.... well I am perfectly within the service schedule, (main dealer), so that shouldnt be right. Having owned cars of all amkes for the best part of 17 years, (a lot of which were old bangers :-) )I have never been aware that its necessary to oil the safety catch on a bonnet other wise it will fail??
Whatever the cause, for both the main catch and the safety to fail together is a major coincidence.

The car is 5 years old, obviously out of warranty but would there be any just cause to complain to renault?
Currently in Beer Jammer's garage:
1.9dci initiale sports tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome