Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Loose Wiring Loom Cover Cutting Into ECU Loom*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 2nd October 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
How to remove the base of the ECU tamper proof cover

I recently bought a Clio (52 Plate 1.2 16 valve Extreme) for my daughter, it started having problems with warm starting and I found this forum very helpful in sorting the problem.

Found the ECU upper engine cable loom had been damaged by the "Black Box" as per many other contributors.

I took the cover off the "Black Box" (tamper proof cover); it was not too difficult to carry out this part of the job, but I found that the screw was loose to start and became stiff when the cover was ready to be released.

I found 3 wires had been damaged, not completely worn through but all with the conductors showing.

The cover had the rubber grommet to "protect" the cables but it had not been totally useful!!!

Following advice found here and on other forums, I replaced the Crank Sensor and also opened up and cleaned every sensor plug break on the engine with Contact Cleaner spray and protected the pins with Vaseline (petroleum jelly). The 3 relays at the front of the under-bonnet fuse and relay panel were also removed and cleaned. Only one of these relays had a little corrosion showing on the pins, but careful cleaning removed it and the Vaseline will protect from further damage.

Part of the work included removing the plug from the left hand side of the ECU . This plug is very easy to get off and there is very little chance of damaging the fine pins when reconnecting, providing the plug is applied square in line with the socket.

I realised the "Tamper Proof Cover" would only damage the loom again if refitted and the base was so loose it would also potentially pose a significant risk of damage. I decided I needed to remove the base but had to figure out how.

While the plug was disconnected from the ECU it was simply a matter of slightly spreading the base part of the tamper proof cover, it is open on the right hand side (viewed from the front of the car) and then after twisting by lifting the edge of it nearest the engine simply pull gently to release it from around the ECU electrical socket.

The base is not secured by any mechanical device but is simpy wedged into place between the ECU and the engine. The ECU upper engine Loom Plug when connected prevents it being removed.

The damaged cables were cleaned with Isopropanol Alcohol and then when dry, they were wrapped with several layers of insulating tape.

Since carrying out this work there have been no problems experienced with warm starting, the engine fast idle is much smoother when starting from cold and the car drives significantly better.

The Crank Sensor cost 21 + vat from a local motor factor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL381325.jpg
Views:	1999
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	6473   Click image for larger version

Name:	SL381331.jpg
Views:	1973
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	6474   Click image for larger version

Name:	SL381337.jpg
Views:	1991
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	6475   Click image for larger version

Name:	SL381342.jpg
Views:	1990
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	6476  

Last edited by spanner-do; 3rd October 2008 at 09:33 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome