Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Why buy a Laguna?

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11th October 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Yes, keep 'em coming. Owning a good Disco II, and hearing abt all their problems, I know there can be two sides of the story. I am hoping not all Lagunas are v. expensive and troublesome.

I am about to buy what you guys call a Laguna II V6 Sport Tourer (and funnily enough, what here in the Aussie market is called an Estate) and there is nothing that comes near it for the blend of safety, economy, size and style. Renault imported about 320 Lag II Ph1 Estates (and about 1000 sedans) in 2002/2003.

We went in big for the 4WDs at that time so there are not many passenger car-based Euro wagons around in the used market. I like the laguna as it has ESP and side curtain airbags. Nothing else has this in the price range (which is around 4-5000GBP for an '02 here).

I hear lots abt coil failure, keycard probs, window mechanisms, premature wear of front susp balljoints and rear susp bushings... if that's about it, then I can live with that list of likely failures.

It's a bit of a risk buying one of these things over this side of the world. Renault is not esp popular in Australia partly because they were pretty expensive new (but resale kills 'em) and the high cost of spare parts (and as few are sold, there are not many used parts in breaking years or a heap of pattern parts suppliers) so I expect I'll be on eBay UK or France a bit...

Last edited by Montblanc; 12th October 2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: gave incorrect number of Lag Est imports
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome