Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio II - Immobiliser fault

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 13th October 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
Hmm, I disagree to the extent that no method of disabling the immobiliser is going to be quick and easy, it's why they're heavily epoxied in the top of the fuel pumps on the old diesels.

Yes, they are a security device, but they're not infallible, and the likelihood is that any competent car thief already knows a lot more than us about disabling them... And solving problems with the immobiliser system as opposed to simply bypassing it may be very costly and simply not worth it on an older car - there's plenty of things you might call a grey area - are we going to stop giving advice on working on the brakes 'cause anybody who doesn't already know what they're doing is potentially endangering their life by working on them if they get it wrong? I'd say a life, or even several lives are worth a hell of a lot more than any car you can present me with. In fact, are we going to stop giving advice on all car repairs because it put the job security of Renault technicians at risk?

If the immobiliser on mine gave me any issues I'd not hesitate for a moment to destroy the bloody thing and wire the fuel stop solenoid straight in, but as I said in another thread I'm sure it's not so easy on newer/petrol cars...

Is it possible to use the code generation method of bypassing the immobiliser on a car with the RF system, or was that exclusive to the IR system?

That said, there are sensible steps you can take with regard to diagnosing the immo system... Though with the RF system I'd have no idea where to start 'cause I can't see any reason why the Immobiliser and Central Locking systems would be intertwined as they are on an IR car. Perhaps the decoder ring in the ignition barrel is kaput, or the transponder in the key is faulty?

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)

Last edited by Azurael; 13th October 2008 at 10:16 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome