Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #130 of (permalink) Old 4th May 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Paulo
This is exactly the same design that is on mine... the plastic lever got stuck in the open position due to the plastic (circular thing holding it) and the spring didn't seem strong enough to pull it back.

If you are unlucky enough to have the main mechanism fail and the safety catch not return when you close the bonnet then you have problems at higher speeds.

I would take it to Renault with your concerns... wish I had known... Let me know how you get on.
As the owner of a 2003 Clio with a bonnet catch exactly the same as this one I don't have any worries at all. The catches appear to me to be quite substantial and the plastic bit is only to pull to release the safety catch. Like all things mechanical though they do need maintenance, in this case lubrication the lack of which could, I suppose, cause the safety catch to stick in the open position or the return spring could rust and break.
Even if the vehicle has been serviced regularly it is down to the driver to ensure that the vehicle, as far as is possible, is roadworthy. I inspect all fluid levels, tyre pressures, locks and hinges at least weekly. Why? Because that way I reduce the risk of an unpleasant surprise of something failing.
I suspect when all this has been sorted it will be down to lack of lubrication/maintenance.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome