Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #131 of (permalink) Old 4th May 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
As the owner of a 2003 Clio with a bonnet catch exactly the same as this one I don't have any worries at all. The catches appear to me to be quite substantial and the plastic bit is only to pull to release the safety catch. Like all things mechanical though they do need maintenance, in this case lubrication the lack of which could, I suppose, cause the safety catch to stick in the open position or the return spring could rust and break.
Even if the vehicle has been serviced regularly it is down to the driver to ensure that the vehicle, as far as is possible, is roadworthy. I inspect all fluid levels, tyre pressures, locks and hinges at least weekly. Why? Because that way I reduce the risk of an unpleasant surprise of something failing.
I suspect when all this has been sorted it will be down to lack of lubrication/maintenance.

Thanks for your comments....

I happen to disagree with them mainly from the point of view that this may be obvious and come naturally to most people... and I am indeed not a mechanic but I am also not completely useless.

The fact is, if everything seems ok with your car why would you check it? It has MOTs, services etc. Why isn't this a common occurrence on all vehicles? Is it because only clio drivers don't know how to maintain their cars?... I doubt it.

I applaud you on your thorough checks of your vehicle weekly... it does seem sensible to me but I think most people if answering honestly would not be so careful...

If I had seen this forum before my accident I would be certainly checking it regularly... so what is wrong with Renault raising awareness that this is essential maintenance... most people know about brakes, tyres etc. but how many about bonnet catches honestly? There is two systems to keep your bonnet closed.

One system not working properly + one good system = probably ok

One system not working properly + dodgy second system = dangerous.. and very dangerous... the risk is high enough to warrant this issue being looked into.

Last edited by Paulo; 4th May 2006 at 05:31 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome